If you’re considering doing a rotation in the United States or you’re already signed up for one, you likely have many questions. For your convenience, I have compiled a list of frequently asked questions regarding pre-departure preparation.
What should I bring on my first day?
We recommend you bring your white coat, your stethoscope, materials to take notes, and copies of the required documentation in case your host site has questions. Your physician may tell you certain things are unnecessary once you get started, but it is always better to show up overprepared on your first day.
Is there a dress code?
Business casual: Clothing and appearance should be neat and clean with a professional. If the facility has a dress code that differs from AMO’s standard policy, you will be informed.
- Recommended attire for men: Dress pants, chinos, button up, or polo shirts.
- Recommended attire for women: Dress pants, skirts, dresses, blouses.
Hygiene: Students must maintain a clean body that is free from odors or bad breath. Necessary steps are to be taken to prevent these problems. Moderation should be employed in the application of fragrance and cosmetics.
What is the best form of transportation while in the U.S.?
- Public transportation in the United States varies significantly from city to city. Several of the major U.S. cities have a dependable, comprehensive system. Others have very little public transportation. Many cities also have public transportation information available on the Internet.
- Taxis are common in big cities. You can either order one by phone or flag one down on a busy street. You can also pick up a taxi at the local airport, train station, bus station, and in front of major hotels. If you’re not staying in a large city, it will be much harder to find taxis.
- Ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft are very popular in the U.S. They allow you to enter your location and your destination in an app on your phone, and a driver will pick you up and deliver you to your destination. You will need Wifi in order to use these services.
Depending on the city, all three options may be available for transportation from the airport. You do not need to schedule transportation in advance.
Make sure you get acquainted with your area’s most convenient form of transportation. I can help you determine what options are available/best for your specific situation.
Does AMO or the host site provide housing accommodations?
No. Housing is not provided. You can search housing options by selecting the Airbnb link provided in your application. Be sure to consider the distance from your program and access to public transportation when you choose your housing. If provided with the information, AMO is happy to contact the listing owner to discuss potential discount options as well as provide you with suggestions and guidance during your search.
When you arrive in the United States we want you to feel excited and well equipped for your stay so stay in touch and ask questions.
If you are interested in a clinical rotation in the U.S. but have not yet applied, click here to get started. Applying is quick and easy!